– Elevators are back up
Summary of recent elevator events
– Tuesday, May 2nd – South elevator driving machine was removed and sent to Texas for repair. Think of this kind of like needing to repair the engine of a car.
– Friday, May 19th – North elevator became stuck on the 6th floor due to failing door mechanism
– Tuesday, May 23rd – A pool company error flooded the elevator pit and garage. The north elevator stopped functioning. Damage is still being evaluated but many of the electrical systems for the north elevator will probably need to be replaced. The board and CAP are working with the pool company on this matter. Garage and elevator pit are dried and sump pumps replaced in the garage and elevator before 6pm the same day.
– Wednesday, May 24th – The elevator company is able to get the south elevator functioning again around 1pm.
– Friday, May 26th – Power outage causes elevators to be non functional for a few hours.
– Monday, May 29th – South elevator becomes stuck sometime after 7pm on the 5th floor. A part was needed to repair the elevator.
– Tuesday, May 30th – South elevator restored.
Most of our elevator problems over the past few years have been related to the doors being stuck due to failing door mechanisms. The the elevator pit flooding is unfortunate but would have been a problem even with new elevators.
The common elements are owned by all the owners in the building and should be thought of as an extension of your home. Much like a standalone house requires repair and replacement of large systems(e.g. water heater, roof, furnace, sewer line) so do the common elements of our building. The benefit of being in a condo is that even though these repairs can be very costly when the amount is split among all the owners it is rarely more expensive than common repairs in a single family house.
Elevators are down again. CAP has been notified.
Sorry for the inconvenience. I’ll post an update when they are back up.